MFC SG Official Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creativity a problem for Southgate's side

2 posters

Go down

Creativity a problem for Southgate's side Empty Creativity a problem for Southgate's side

Post  Ariff Ahmad Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:06 pm

Charlie Nicholas urged Gareth Southgate to make some last-ditch signings before the transfer window closes after watching Middlesbrough held to a 0-0 draw at home against Blackburn.

The result means Boro haven't won in 12 Premier League games and have now scored just once in their last seven - a run Nicholas believes is in part due to a lack of midfield creativity.

Chris Riggott headed a good chance over for the hosts but in front 24,303 people - the Riverside's lowest league crowd of the season - Rovers had better chances through Roque Santa Cruz and Jason Roberts.

"I'm seriously worried about Middlesbrough," Nicholas told Soccer Saturday. "I'm looking at them thinking 'what's going to give them inspiration?'

"The only player who stood out for me today was young Adam Johnson. (Stewart) Downing didn't really do much, but Johnson at least ran at people, tried to take people on. He had a great shot in the first-half but apart from that Gareth must be a worried man.
Confusing

"Gareth is a pretty positive individual. But to miss out on transfer targets like Ben Watson this week and then say 'that's it I'm not prepared to go for anyone else' slightly confuses me and I think it is probably confusing some of the Boro fans.

"I don't know why he just doesn't go out and get someone; they need someone in just to freshen it up. Matthew Bates and Josh Walker in midfield are honest, hard-working players and they are giving everything they have but it's not enough to be organized. You need creative ability.

"I don't think Gareth will resign; he's still got to look at the situation positively. I don't think it is getting to him enough to say 'I've had enough of this, maybe it's time someone came and took my place to try and get this club going again'.

"I think he will see it through but I would be very tempted to go to the chairman and say 'I have to identify one or two players to bring in tonight'. There are plenty of offers still there - if you need it, you have to go and get it and I believe that he needs it."

Blackburn boss Sam Allardyce has now gone six Premier League games without defeat but Nicholas felt of the two managers he would have been the more frustrated.

"There were a lot of shots of Sam on the touchline and you could see he was getting very frustrated with people like Benni McCarthy at times because you could sense it was there more for Blackburn today.

"In the first-half Blackburn looked a capable side, Middlesbrough looked a side devoid of ideas and I really did worry for them because after about 10 or 15 minutes Middlesbrough fans were really unhappy.

"And quite rightly so because it was an easy-going tempo; there was no individual that was going to sort something out and get the ball or at least squeeze the game up for them; there was no energy about them.

"They did improve a little bit in the second-half but for me it was Blackburn's game there to be won. There were a couple of injuries: Andrews came off early, as did Emerton. When David Dunn came on (after 50 minutes) it did look as though things might develop for them.

"There weren't any outstanding saves by Brad Jones, who got a recall for Middlesbrough today, but right at the end there was a great cross from Warnock and Jason Roberts - unmarked, six yards out - has a simple header but although he hits the target he takes the pace off the cross.

"If he kept the pace on it's by Jones in a flash but he gives him a chance to save it; it was a save he should have made, and he did, and he kept a clean sheet. So that's a positive."

WELL SAID NICHOLAS!

Ariff Ahmad

Back to top Go down

Creativity a problem for Southgate's side Empty Re: Creativity a problem for Southgate's side

Post  boro84 Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 pm

as said.. boro needs a creative midfielder badly... 1st choice attacking midfielder GON is off form... arca is not that good as well...

it's a position that hasnt really been filled that well since juninho.. Sad

boro84

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum